Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Knit Christmas Stockings: 19 Patterns for Stockings and OrnamentsKnit Christmas Stockings: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments by Gwen Steege
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So let us begin, shall we?

Now, I want to start off by saying... I've never knit a Christmas stocking before. I know, I know.... though I've knit plenty of socks, I've never knit stockings, and I don't hang any up by the chimney with care, either... I have a store bought stocking for hubby, my parents & I and that's it. But maybe with this book... just maybe... that will change?

We start with the usual how to section, including how to knit, purl, increases and decreases, turn a heel (short rows) and the importance of a gauge swatch. I've complained before about how knitting & crocheting books always include a how to section & it bugs the heck out of me, I find it a complete waste of space. If you are buying a book of knitting patterns then you already know how to knit... if you want to learn how to knit, you are going to buy a how to book, or take a class, or ask a friend, or go onto youtube

The patterns are laid out very clearly, and each part of the stocking is spelled out for you, casting on, knit the leg, turning the heel, finishing, etc and the photos are what you'd expect: clear, pretty, well lit. Patterns are all charted.

So, the patterns! Some of my favorites from the book include:

Winter Wonderland - a cute fair isle stocking, space to customize a (short) name, with little 3 dimensional snowmen to add on

Mix and Match Stockings - just what the title says, it's a great mix of fair isle patterns, you can also add a name to it.

Stars Brocade - if I were to knit my MIL a stocking, this would be it, though instead of the photographed white I'd use a Victorian burgandy

Mini Socks - great for an advent calendar

there's also an assortment of ornaments/package tags as well.



I received a copy of this book free through netgalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...