Monday, September 15, 2014

review: Fresh from the Farm

Fresh from the Farm: A Year of Recipes and StoriesFresh from the Farm: A Year of Recipes and Stories by Susie Middleton


This book is part memoir & part cookbook.

It has beautiful, full color photographs and recipes strewn throughout the book. Middleton is obviously an accomplished writer & her recipes look delicious -

Unfortunately, there was ONE - count them folks, just ONE - recipe I'd actually make, and unfortunately, I already make something pretty similar (her recipe used mustard greens; mine uses kale). I have a lot of food issues/allergies, so I have this problem with most cookbooks anyway - though it doesn't stop me from buying them all! Most of the recipes include way too many things I can't eat, and by the time I substitute everything, nothing of the original recipe is left. There's way too many fancy things in here, too - things my family just wouldn't eat, things I'm just not interested in making - I'm too much of a simple, meat & potatoes gal at heart.

That being said - the chatty, "memoir" half of the book was fabulous, and I greatly enjoyed reading Susie's tales, and that made the book worth the 4 stars to me (that and the photography).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...