Tuesday, June 18, 2013

book review: Knit Your Socks on Straight: A New and Inventive Technique with Just Two Needles; 20 Original Designs by Alice Curtis

Knit Your Socks on Straight: A New and Inventive Technique with Just Two Needles; 20 Original DesignsKnit Your Socks on Straight: A New and Inventive Technique with Just Two Needles; 20 Original Designs by Alice Curtis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Good morning!

Have you seen this book yet, that just came out today? Have you admired the crazy gorgeous yarn on the front cover or the designs on the inside? Have you started knitting socks yet?


Anyone who reads my blog knows I knit a lot of socks - a lot - though I make mainly basic, easy, toe up socks and don't often challenge myself in the socknitting department... or really, the knitting department. (I'll challenge myself with crochet sometimes, but knitting... knitting is just for me, and for fun, and I really do like the basics though I do know how to do any knitting technique under the sun & teach them all on a regular basis). Now, that being said, I love to knit in the round (and regularly turn flat knit patterns into being knit in the round) but I can't wait to start the socks in this book.

OK, whew... went off on a tangent there, didn't I?

So the book begins with the basics... how to, gauge, and specific sock knitting techniques as well, such as turning the heel. Then come the socks... oh the gorgeous socks! There's 15 patterns here, from the basic worsted weight sock to the fancy, fingering weight texture or cabled socks, and there's baby socks and heavier slipper socks. Surprisingly, there's only a few intarsia designs (Coffee Break would make EXCELLENT scrap socks) & only one pair of lace socks (though admitably it's gorgeous).

Alice Curtis, who's an LYS owner (lucky girl), even explains the best way to seam the socks... and seriously... it's not hard, and the finished socks look good. Crocheters, are you listening? She's having us slip stitch the sock seam!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...